3.23.2006

The Day after the Day after the Day after

Okay...so I got a little cutsy with my title but I felt like it. My last story is due this Sunday and I've been in a groove. Really, I have. It's taken awhile to get back to it since life kinda took the driver's seat for the past couple months but at least it's back - my creativity. My story, meanwhile, is changing. It's her, her fiance and the doctor. That's it. It's not a happy ending, either. I hate unhappy endings which is why I'm really trying to write one. Life isn't always happy but we do have resolutions. They may not be the resolutions we wanted but they always end up being the one that is the best for us. So, this story is that for me. I want it to end with a hard-to-swallow but realistic resolution. And I think I've just about accomplished that.

Having the creative juices flowing again is so freeing for me. I get out of myself and into someone else and it just wakes me up. It's so liberating but challenging all at the same time. Liberating that I'm creating this character but challenging because the character always ends up teaching me something that I need to see in myself and be a better person. You write and erase (or delete if you write on the computer) this fake person's characteristics so many times that they just evolve into something that you couldn't have guessed in the beginning - and then you realize that it's a metaphor for you, your life. You're being molded and changing and growing from the time you leave the womb. The character you created, even if they seem so different from you, is really a part of you. There is at least one thing in them that characterizes you. I see that and reflect upon it in each character that comes off the page I'm writing on. Sometimes I feel like God teaches me through some of the characters that I create. Of course, they are not my creation. They are what God wants me to create; He gives me the idea and I write it down. It's a pretty sneaky way to get my attention but it always does. I don't know if I'll ever be able to support myself financially through my characters/stories but I know that God will continue to teach me through them.

So here's hoping that my last story for the class gives me a clue as to what God wants me to learn next. :-)

No comments: