1.16.2010

Football vs. Soccer

Okay, so I'm a 33 yr. old petite woman who still loves sports. I have my favorites (which a lot of my friends oppose...and that's the nice way of saying it) just like everyone else. But I don't actually know exactly why I love one sport more than another. Some just entertain me and some don't.

What's funny about being 33 and not knowing this is that a 4 yr. old knows exactly why he hates football and why he loves soccer (futbol, for those who aren't American). I asked him why he wasn't wanting to watch the Colts game with his mom and I. He said, "I hate football. I hate all sports. I only like soccer." I asked him why. "Because I only like to kick." I laughed pretty hard. If you happen to know this 4 yr. old, you would've laughed too because he does like to kick...hence that's why he likes soccer over football, or any other sport.

Hmmm...sometimes I wonder if we just need to think like a 4 yr. old. As adults, we tend to make things much more complicated than it needs to be. Kids just like things and do things because they like them. So why is it so hard for us to do the same? Even God asked us to come to Him like little children. Why? Because the best things and the most worthy things in life are the simple things, the little things. Life is not supposed to be a calculus problem. It's supposed to be simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. And yet, we try to come up with complicated formulas to figure out the most basic things in life.

Do something because you like it.
Do something because you're good at it.
Do something because it helps someone.
Do something because it's right.
Do something because it makes you or others happy.
Do something because it makes this world a better place.

Don't ask the same questions over and over.
Don't think for days or months or years on end.
Don't just plan.
Don't wait.
Don't keep making the same list.

I think Nike said it best: Just do it.

Go for it. Reach for it. Grab it. Make it yours.

So much power in so many little words...and yet we miss the message. I missed the message.

Not anymore. Not in 2010....or 2020....or 2030...or 2040...or 2050...or even after, assuming I'm still alive after that. I will be 74 in 2050; that's a neat thing to think about. I hope by then I'll look back at 2010 and see that I changed my life for the better and lived a life with fewer regrets than before because...

...I just did it. I found my soccer and I just kept kicking. :-)

No comments: