1.14.2010

Smile

Today in my life I can see a lot of things without a smile on my face. I can get down on myself (which, I confess, is easy for me to do) very easily for being laid off at my job, still having debt and not knowing what tomorrow is going to bring. I'm 33 with a one bedroom apartment, no boyfriend (not even dating), no kids, no pets, no career, not much moolah in the bank...and I can go on. I have so many things that I can choose to keep a smile from gracing my face.

In my previous post I talked about love; not just having it but living it. Being love and pursuing love for real; not settling for anything less for yourself, for others or of yourself.

Well, that goes for smiling, too. A little confused? Yeah, I hear ya...but hear me. A smile is such an incredible tool to have. A smile has the amazing gift to turn what is the worst thought, situation or feeling completely around. There is nothing that a smile can't cure. So why is it so hard to do? Why do we let ourselves hide our smiles? I hide mine all the time...everyday. There are moments that I smile during the day...but you know what? Today was different. I smiled all day long...and you know what else? It wasn't hard! It was easy! How about them apples? Everytime I thought about my situation (since I have a lot of time on my hands, it's easy to just think a lot), I didn't let myself get too far until I made myself smile. That's all I did: smile. No reason. I just did it. And you know what? Though I couldn't see it, I felt it. It changed my mood and I focused on the positive.

So, my challenge to you? Next time you feel down, make yourself smile...for no reason. And if that doesn't work, think of something or someone who makes you smile. Then just smile. Or find a movie, song, joke that makes you smile.

I've written just the chorus to my new favorite song (for right now) here. It's "Smile" by Uncle Cracker. These lyrics make me smile. :-)

You make me smile like the sun
Fall out of bed
Sing like a bird
Dizzy in my head
Spin like a record crazy on a Sunday night
You make me dance like a fool
Forget how to breathe
Shine like gold
Buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
Oh, you make me smile.


Last thought on smiling...the more you do it, the better you are at, the more people around you will see it, the more they'll do it, too...the more they'll smile back at you.

That makes you (and me) smile more. It's a glorious cycle, this smiling.

By the way, I've been smiling since the first word of this blog. :-)

No comments: