1.12.2010

Love, don't let it go

I've been writing a lot lately...it's come and gone at times in the last week but it's there. It's something that I truly love to do. But what I love about it is that I get to create something new. Some of the words are the same and some are new...but it's always a different story, with different people, and different situations. Lately, I've been inspired to write about relationships between men and women...something that I've not done a lot of before. And I've concluded something.

Before I say what...I want to point out a few things. Our lives are surrounded by this subject constantly and consistently. Even if you think you don't have it, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you do. Everyone has someone to love them or something to love. Don't just apply that love to people: it could be animals, a job, a charity, whatever. We all love something.

And we also look for love and make our lives about love. Just look at our media industry - we write, film, record, discuss, buy, sell love in books, plays, movies, musicals, online dating, speed dating, dating services. We are obsessed with love, finding it, exploring, learning about it, desiring it, wanting it, forcing it.

Here's one thing that I'm not sure a lot of us have a handle on when it comes to love: living it. For some - or dare I say, most - once we find it, we've forgotten how to live it. Truly live it. I'm not talking about for awhile; just during the butterflies. I'm talking about forever; constant; consistent; unconditional; unashamed; disciplined; all-consuming; passionate; beautiful love.

I've known a lot of people who have taken love for granted, whether that was with a person or something else. I've also known people who cherish it for what it is. The problem is that there is an increasing amount of negative love out there that we are seeing; that people are portraying as real love. And it isn't. Love is not a word to throw around. It's a word that should mean a whole heck of a lot when said.

It's not to be said in real life just out of emotion. It has to meant and felt and lived. Lived. Alive. Action; not just words. Saying it and showing it are not mutually exclusive; they are mutually active.

That's the kind of love that I want to have; to find; to be to someone; to be to me.

If you have that now, hold onto it. Nurture it. Treat it well. Don't "get used" to it. Keep it fresh. Keep it important. Do little things in addition to the big things.

If you don't have it yet, look for this kind of love. Don't settle for less. Find the real thing. Hold out for it. But, first, learn to give it. Giving it is the most important thing; the next is receiving. It's amazing how it works that way.

I have not found love with a man; not this kind of love. But I've found one even better: with God, my Jesus, His Holy Spirit. He is the greatest Love. And He is the first example, the best example of this perfect love I'm talking about.

It's livable and doable - even for us humans, the imperfect.

I'm holding out for no less than the love that God has for me and I for Him.

That's what came to me today while I was writing...one of my true loves...of which I have found again. It's good to have one of my loves back...and it's teaching me how to love again.

No comments: