9.20.2006

Post 160: Deep Thoughts

Do you remember this little skit on SNL years ago? I was reminded of it from a TV show the other night. It was my favorite part of the show for a time. Anyway, the remembrance got me to thinking. How often do we just sit, be still and let our minds wander? I feel like my mind works more like a pinball than a well-oiled machine. I made a comment last night to a friend of mine that I wish sometimes that someone would switch places with my mind so people can really know what I deal with daily. By this morning, though, I realized that God gave me this brain because he designed it FOR ME. I shouldn't be complaining and I should see the blessing that it is (though, it's hard to let go of the fact that it also feels like a curse at times, leading me down directions I DO NOT want to go).

I think that it's important for everyone that EVERY DAY we find the good in ourselves and others instead of insisting on seeing only the bad. Good in this world can only happen if we're seeing past the bad things and getting to the good things. Finding the good in an enemy will change them. It happens. It's fact. But we're too scared to even try. Yes, there are times that God leads us away from our enemies. But, there are definitely other times where God leads our enemies TO us so that He can use us to help them. I have a friend right now that is in the middle of one of these situations. Right now, my friend is trying to discern if God is leading her away from them or if he's leading her to them. It's hard to discern this type of situation but with a lot of prayer from friends, and prayer for herself, she will see the path God has for her in this situation soon.

Of course, going back to the deep thoughts idea, this is advice that we all need to take. It's so hard to just sit and be still in this world but we all need it - even me and my pinball machine mind. I have a friend who gets to go on a retreat this weekend - one that I've been to and wish I can do again (but you can only do it once). I'm so happy for her to be able to experience it and to be "cut off" from this world for a few days. I know she'll be so happy that she did it.

However, I have really been given a gift in that another friend of mine is going away for the week and I'm apartment and cat-sitting for her. It will be nice to have a place to myself for a few days; somewhere that I'm not used to and will be a semi-retreat. I'm actually excited for it even though it's still in town. I think it is just what the doctor ordered. :-)

No comments: