7.29.2009

Centerpiece

I started to sing yesterday...out loud in public. Yes, I did. This morning, I sang most of the time I walked Theda. I don't remember seeing anyone but I sang. It was such a release. And I remembered the hymns, too! But one song I couldn't remember and it bothers me now.

It's called "Centerpiece" and was written by a former worship minister of mine. It is honestly one of my most favorite songs ever. Honestly, I will make sure it's played during my wedding ceremony (whenever that happens). But this morning as I was walking and singing what I could remember, all jumbled up...it got me to thinking all day long about my Centerpiece; about how well I let my Centerpiece control my life...and how well I don't, but let others.

I've been reading and listening to five different "preachers." I've compared what they say about Biblical principles; and what they agree on or don't. It's been a little rough at times to discern...and I can see that during those rough times I acted out a bit or had a mini-freak out on a friend, or went to this selfish place (or what came across as being selfish). But I see why I reacted those ways: I was worrying too much about trying to consolidate everyone's viewpoint into one somehow that I could believe in but not focusing on the one thing that I needed to: and that was making sure my Centerpiece was in control...not someone else or some spiritual philosophy. Because I see so clearly that God is the only one that truly matters. His words are life. Yes, we need some people to help us get through some things, but we shouldn't end up "following" them...we have to keep following God. Because not everyone who we look up to is going to be right all the time about everything concerning God. They will be wrong at times. But one thing that I know clearly is that God will always steer you right. He will speak to you through prayer, meditation, fasting, solitude, silence, journaling, nature, people and even directly with words (I've heard him actually talk to me three times before clear as day)....you just have to be available. That's it. You have to make yourself available to Him, and Him only.

I've read a lot of books lately....but there isn't one that everything in it is right (even if I love the author or agree with most of what's in the book). Not one. When I go to the one book that counts, The Bible, and study what I'm not sure about: I'm either led to it being correct or wrong. I can't always trust people to be right all the time. It's not possible; we're too human.

But I can trust my Centerpiece. As a believer, a Christian, a Jesus-follower...whatever label you want to give me...I've been given the Holy Spirit and the grace and the wisdom to discern what is right and what is wrong. My Holy Spirit will steer me right. I have faith that no matter where I am in life, my Spirit is with me, guiding me to learn and know more about Him; growing in faith in His will; learning to love unconditionally like Him; and remembering that He is my Centerpiece.

And I need to add nothing to my Centerpiece. It's all there; everything that I need and nothing I don't. I will never understand why so many of us put so many parameters on our faith; why there is so much dis-unity in the church (not one in particular; just in general between denominations); or why we can't all love each other like God tells us, too...why we all have people, some who are friends, that we can't find common ground with. Why, if we're supposed to be unique but loving to those different than us, we can't see each others differences as beautiful? It's just so hard to understand some things.

But one thing that I do understand is that He is my Centerpiece; He's at the core of who I am; Not up or down or even off to one side.........Come, Father, take your rightful place in my life: always in the Center.

Okay...so you can see I remember only half the chorus. But I will remember the rest...especially when I get the CD from home tomorrow. :-)

No comments: