1.04.2006

I have so many "issues"

Well, here it is Wednesday, January 4. My parents are back, I work at the studio for the first time since last Wednesday (a full schedule) and for no reason my neck and back decide to act up. Oh, yeah, I have had a lovely day. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to teach five lessons tonight when I can barely move the area from the base of my skull to my last vertibrae. Ugh! The dancing Monday didn't do it. I wasn't doing anything that was overly stretching or fast or jumpy. It was more lyrical with my arms (a few turns here and there) but nothing to extend any of the areas. I was very careful; I always am now especially since I started back at the studio. Plus, I felt fine all day yesterday. Why would it show up now? I was fine when I went to bed both nights. But I woke up barely able to move this morning. I was late by an hour to work (of course, I called in to let them know what was happening). I've been doing what I need to but not even Advil is working. I have no idea what else to do.

So I've been thinking about this all day and I just realized what is happening: my stress is manifesting itself physically. When I really thought about it, I realized that I have a ton of issues still hanging over my head. There are so many things that I have to take care of that it's showing up physical. In addition to the facts that I had a pretty tough week and haven't been getting enough sleep, it's no wonder I can walk at all today. I suspect that Monday nights dancing had a little to do with it, I know that it was just a little bit. Seriously, I didn't do much at all even though it was for an hour. I watched and moved to four videos (a total of 7 times in an hour; I rested a lot and did choreography in my head during those rest times - I didn't do it physically). So it couldn't have led to this. I mean, I've done 10x more at the studio in one 45 minute lesson that I did Monday night physically.

Plus, it started in my neck. My back didn't feel bad this morning. It was my neck and shoulders. The last two times it started in my neck and spread to the rest of my back over the day, it was due to stress and too little of rest. Since my injury, I'm much more in tune with my body. Those last two times there also wasn't anything physical that I could link to it. I know that this has to be stress-oriented.

I've been able to fool myself for awhile; my body is finally trying to tell me to do something about my stress level. And believe me, I'm determined now to take care of this stress once and for all. I can't afford to be out of work because my back or neck is acting upon my stress level. No can do. So I'll be resting and putting my life in better order - starting immediately by picking back up my search for a full-time job with benefits. :-)

No comments: