6.12.2006

Post 118: NBA Finals

Ok, so, I'm extremely happy that the Mavs are up 2 games on the Heat. Not a Heat fan. You might think that I would be since Pat Riley and Shaq happen to cohabitate on that team. I like Pat Riley for helping to bring us all those championships in the 80's but Shaq...well, it's a well-known fact that I didn't like him when he was a Laker. I did put my feelings aside because he was instrumental in bringing us more championships - I even defended him to friends that tried to convince me that he was a terrible baller - I didn't need convincing but I wasn't going to let anyone knock my team (even if, deep down, I knew they were right). So, I was never really a fan of Shaq's but I gave him his due.

Now, though, I'm very happy that he's losing. I'm sure he's a wonderful guy - I can't judge him because I've never met him. But I'm a Laker fan at heart and feel like Diesel got a little too big for his britches (and that's hard to do). It was the right move for him to leave and Kobe to stay. And besides, Shaq is winning because he went to a very talented team and gets to play alongside Dwayne Wade. He had the same thing in L.A. (well, before that last fateful year together - too many superstars on one team is not a good thing). Kobe hasn't; but he's inspired the talent that we have to be the best that they can be; he's making the people around him better even when he's throwing 81 down. People seem to miss that he's gotten the guys around him to play better. The team does better when they are all playing, not just when Kobe is hot. Isn't that the mark of a good team in the making? Isn't that what's going on in Dallas?

And isn't it great that an owner who is so into his team and really cares has a good chance to be on top finally? I don't always agree with Cubans actions but his heart I definitely agree with. He is who he is and he doesn't apologize for it. That's someone I can support and get behind - and that's why I really hope the Mavs win. I think the whole organization deserves (even if they are located a hop, skip and a jump from the Cowboys - I'm a Niner fan through and through and to be a Faithful Niner, you must hate the Dallas Cowboys).

I can't wait to watch Game 3 - wouldn't it be great if the Mavs swept the Heat? I think so.

No comments: