8.14.2006

Post 151: It's baaack....

FOOTBALL SEASON!

I am so, so excited! I love football! I love basketball and baseball, too, but not even close to what I feel to football. I'd love to work for a football team one day; even in an office setting. I just love it.

Plus, my team won thier first game. Ok, ok, so it was their first PRE-season game but to me, right now, it counts. I'm a die-hard, faithful, uncompromising 49er fan. Yes, I am the real deal. Make no mistake, I know how bad we are right now. I'm not an idiot. But I am excited that we are getting better...and we ARE getting better. We still need a defense but we have improved our offense. I'm hoping and praying for an 8-8 year. My ideal would be a 13-3 record and a playoff berth but I know that isn't realistic. However, I'm also sort of an optimist so I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened. Stranger things have happened (like Chicago having the best D last year; where did that come from?). Anyway, I'm really excited for football.

The problem is that I can't see them play very often. It so sucks. I now live in the Midwest and though I like the Colts, they have not and will never replace my 49ers. I'm too attached; the Niners and me go way back. Back to when I was 4 years old and sat on my dad's lap. I told him that "the red and yellow team I like is going to win the bowl thing." That was the Fall of 1980; three months later, they did win: thier first Super Bowl. So, you can see that my little prediction of the future solidified me as a 49er fan for life - and 5 Super Bowls later, I still am. Even though we've had some pretty dreadful past few seasons, I know we'll be back. Every team has their day and will come back to the bright side - or, in this case, the Golden side. :-)

I'd like to add a few things to my resolve list: to find an apartment/condo/house/townhouse in the next year that accepts dogs (I want my own) and to be able to afford NFL Sunday Ticket. That's the only way I can see my boys play; and it's about time I get the chance again. I so miss sitting home at Sundays after church and watching them play. It was so much fun, even on the bad days. Of course, there weren't many of those back then. Still, I loved it. I know I still do. I'll watch the Colts and route for them but it's just not the same. They aren't my team. I've tried to like them close to the 49ers but even the last two 4-12 seasons the Niner had couldn't change my mind. Red and gold truly does run through my veins. I'm a Niner fan through and through.

What's really exciting, though, is that I do have the opportunity to see them play in person: in Chicago on October 29. It just happens that one of my friends birthdays in that weekend and well, she wants to go to Chicago to celebrate it. Plus, she's all for going to the game so now we're trying to get tickets. I'm so excited taht I want October to be here already. I can't wait to go!

Anyway, football is back and that just makes everyday go by a bit quicker than usual. That may be a funny thing for a woman to say but it tells you just how unique I am. Go Niners!

No comments: