7.31.2006

Post 141: Space, the final frontier?

No, I'm not a trekkie. I always identified and like Star Wars more. However, this morning I was just floored with the idea that the space station orbiting the Earth is international. It's not called the U.S. space station or the American space station; it's the International Space Station. It is manned by astronauts from different countries. Have you ever thought about the meaning behind that simple fact? I didn't until this morning.

It's really amazing that for something as incredible and exciting as space exploration that we, as a human race, can work together. Though I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the subject (and that's coming from someone who has a grandma that's worked for NASA for over 20 years), it's so amazing to me that the countries of the world can come together for space exploration but not for anything else really. It's so disheartening; and yet, for something as big as discovering space, it's encouraging that we CAN put our differences aside and just explore as humankind. God really has created this amazing planet and solar system and universe(s) that's it's great we can see it together.

I had some friends out to my house July 5th to watch the space station and shuttle pass over Bloomington. It was such a cool sight to see! And the group of people that was there gave me chills. I have struggled so much in my life with wondering when this friend is going to decide that they don't like me any more and just leave me or when that friend is going to go all nutty and bring me down with them. But I realized that night that whatever happens in the future, I had some pretty great people as friends. Though I feel a lot of days like I don't measure up to any of them, I know they are my friend for a reason and that I do have a special, very unique place in their lives; and they in mine. As we stood there in my backyard and watched the little balls of light pass over our heads one right after the other, it made me feel special and gave me a warm feeling that we are never alone in this world - even if we're miles away on a space station circling our planet. There were people in those little balls of light; people who are brave enough to be our representatives in space. Brave enough to spend days, weeks, months and years on end away from the rest of us on an international space station, all to further our exploration of God's creation on behalf of the rest of us.

How I am so proud of them for doing that; and for working together with people of other nations on something that is more important than all the stupid things we go to war for. Why can't we be like them all the time? I guess that's a question that will never have an answer; until God comes back, of course. But then, for some of us, it may be too late to understand the real meanign of life. I hope by then that most of God's people will know about Him and claim him. I want Heaven to be full; even though sometimes I wonder about my own salvation. The one thing I do know is that He sent His Son, Jesus, to take away my sins; and though I don't deserve it, I accept it. I accept that I'm not perfect but He loves me anyway. It's hard but it's a gift. I'm so greatful to have that grace and mercy because I'm a sinner everyday and I need to be forgiven everyday. And He does that; that's the only reason why I'm still here, still sane, still living, still alive and still striving to be and do better. With love, you can do all things. With God, you have nothing to lose. He's already done everything for you; you just have to accept it and follow through. I sometimes forget that. But seeing that article today about the Atlantis shuttle getting ready to send more people to help build more to the International Space Station reminded me of this.

It really is an amazing thing, this International Space Station. :-)

No comments: